Friday, January 20, 2012

{DIY} Wine Cork Coaster



When I got up this morning and looked at my blog, I realized that I was long overdue as far as a DIY project was concerned. I wanted to do something that was quick and easy and that didn't require a trip to Michael's. So I decided on a wine cork coaster.  20 minutes later, here was my new wine cork coaster.

For this you will need:


  • 19 cork rounds (I used a total of 5 corks. NOTE: Be sure they are all the same diameter!)
  • Hot glue gun + All-purpose glue like Elmer's Glue
  • Small paintbrush to apply glue
  • Ribbon (I based the width of each cork round on the width on the ribbon. Your ribbon can be narrower than the height of your cork rounds, but NOT HIGHER!)
  • Sharp knife + scissors
  • Cutting board


Step 1:


Cut your wine corks to obtain 19 rounds. Be sure to cut each round as close to the same size as possible. It is best to measure the height of each round before cutting the cork. I used the width of the ribbon to estimate how high each round needed to be.  Arrange the corks as desired. I used the wine stained cork pieces and arranged them as pictured:


Step 2:


Take your glue gun and start gluing the pieces together by starting from the very center:



Once you have glued all the pieces together, you should get something that looks like this:


Step 3:


Next, take your ribbon and some All-purpose glue (like Elmer's), and apply the glue all around the edges of the coaster, using a small paint brush. It is best to work in smaller sections. Make sure the ribbon goes snugly against all parts of the cork edges.



Step 4:


Grab a wine glass, some vino, and enjoy your new wine cork coaster!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Love it!! What a great way to use some of these dang corks I have laying around from all the bottle of wine I've finished off!! I'm gonna have to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just allowed me to check off "wedding favor" on my wedding list. I am going add a backing with our names and the date. Thanks again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic idea! Congrats on your upcoming wedding, best wishes! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh Im doing favors for my friends wedding and I didnt think about adding their names to the back that's a great idea. Thanks for that. Congrats to you

      Delete
  3. I'm going wine tasting for my birthday this year, and wanted something to give to my friends to take hone, and this is perfect! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept gluing more and came out with a cool trivet for my counter, or to use to set my wine bottle on too!

    ReplyDelete